Monday 18 January 2016

On 00:09 by Unknown   10 comments


“Communication is a continual balancing act, juggling the conflicting needs for intimacy and independence. To survive in the world, we have to act in concert with others, but to survive as ourselves, rather than simply as cogs in a wheel, we have to act alone.” - Deborah Tannen.

 This is a famous quote that tells us that communication skill is so important that plays a vital role in human life. Everyday, we communicate with a lot of people including our families, our friends, or even strangers.

As a travel blogger, I had met different kind of people around the world. Interacting with people from different corners of the would will undoubtedly make me a better listener, more compassionate, more willing to understand others, and better at communicating. Traveling isn't just getting to the destination it's about more than that. It bring me to another place where culture, social norms, and language that may have little or complete differences from the way that I live in. Trying to immerse myself the differences and taking part in those surroundings while at the same time respecting cultural boundaries, has made an impact in the way that I communicate with the different kinds of people around.

My weakness in communication is inability to adapt my communication style to different audiences, including people of different generations. My style of communication usually submissive type. I intend behaves as if other people's needs are more important, and other people have more rights and more to contribute. From time to time, this will cause the person exasperated and frustrated.

Edited on 7th February 2016

Blogs commented on:
  1.  Ernest Tan 
  2. Steven 



10 comments:

  1. Travelling in other countries which speaks a different language is definitely a good time to put your communication skills into test! Do you recall a situation that you remember in particular that turn out to be a challenge for you?

    Communication style is not something that is really easy to work on. From my view, what really matters is to treat and speaks to others sincerely. As they see your effort, your listeners will unlikely be too harsh on you when you say something incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jia Sheng

      Yes, travelling in different countries really indeed increase my communication skills. It also build my confident than before.

      Thank you. Have a nice day.

      Delete
  2. WoW! It's nice to see that there is someone that have the same interest as me which is to travel overseas. Having able to speak different languages definitely help in blending in into other countries cultures.

    As for your weakness like what JS have posted on the previous post communication style is not something easy to work on but as long you are able to keep trying and don't give up you will be able to conquer that weakness of yours. Another point to take note is your body language and the tone when you are talking to others, if your body language and tone show sign of you not interested in his's/her's topic this might cause the other person to feel frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ernest,

      I will notice note of it. I will keep trying and trying till i able to conquer my weakness.

      Thank you. Have a nice day.

      Delete
  3. Hi Yawen,
    Traveling and Communication do come hands in hand with each other when it come to develop good communication and social skills! Could you give me an example of how it does it improve your communication skills? Like for example, maybe compare yourself from the past where you didn't experience traveling and you, now, as a traveling blogger?
    I do believe that you, as a traveling blogger, expose yourself to different people with different background and characters can definitely overcome your weakness! Moreover, I believe that speaking up more will help in improve your submissive behavior!
    Do your best YAWEN!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meiying

      Thank you.

      I will edit and give an example about my previous and current now. I am really appreciate for your time for reading my blog.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this initial post, YaWen. I'm happy to read that you are a blogger. It also warms my heart to know that you love to travel and that you blog about your travels. In this post you use that fact to frame your discussion of your communication strengths and weaknesses, which is an admirable approach.

    Even with the few language errors apparent in this short essay, this is a fine start to your interpersonal communication skills journey in this course. I appreciate your self disclosure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad

      I really love to travel and sharing about my trips to my readers. Traveling really help me to change my view on my life. I usually seldom talk to strangers and just be myself. Now, I learn how to be more open mind and appreciate everything I have.

      I will edit my grammar errors.

      Thank you (:

      Delete
    2. Thanks, YaWen. By the way, you should separate the Max Frisch quote from your text, and check the original. Your use of Frisch's words has several sentence structure problems.

      Delete
  5. Which posts did you comment on? (While I am interested in who commented on yours, I can see that.)

    ReplyDelete